Friday, January 15, 2021

November reads 2020


This was such a good reading month for me, I enjoyed everything I read and I'm very satisfied. I feel like I had such a full month!

 The Queen of Nothing by Holly Black 5/5 I'm not crying, you're crying! I can't believe but I loved this book, it was honestly a perfect ending in my opinion.

I Hope You're Listening by Tom Ryan I enjoyed this one and the format half podcast, half first pov is one of my favorites but this story did fall a little flat forme. Mostly because the secondary characters were all under developed and completely unnecessary for the plot. 

Little Monsters by Kara Thomas I was so surprised at how much I enjoyed this one, apparently it's loosely based off the real life slender man true crime but I would never have guessed. Overall it was a lot of fun to read and I'm shocked at how everything played out even though I did guess some of it. Highly recommend. 

Watch Over Me by Nina LaCour is probably one of my favorite books from this year. It was dark, and filled with the processing of grief, and trauma. I really loved this book and don't want to say too much, but it's worth reading and honestly going in blind really made it it an incredible experience. Nina LACour is now an autobuy author for me.

Spoiler Alert by Olivia Dade is my favorite romance novel this year. The fat representation really resonated with many of my insecurities about life. It was very relatable and I also appreciated the dyslexic representation as well. I loved how they solved problems as adults and they used their communication skills to progress. I just loved this book and can't recomend it enough. The only part that was a little much for me was that a 40 year old actor was writing quality fanfiction 😜 

The Night Swim by Megan Goldin is a mystery that transcends generations. The question being repeated throughout history. Was she asking for it? Victim blaming and rape culture is the big topic surrounding this story and I felt like the author did a good job at pointing out the injustice and work that needs to be done to improve rape trails, and prosecution (or lack thereof...). Also I listened to this as an audio book and the quality of the story really shone through, the format of half story and half podcast is always one of my favorites especially for mysteries. 

The Darkest Pleasure by Gena Showalter Ummmm, yes I'm still reading these. I can't even... but also I'm addicted to reading about that tension right before characters have sex in romance novels... You know? They spend half the book with pent up emotions and feelings while they're still trying to complete their goals and this series is doing really good at that.

The Darkest Whisper by Gena Showalter Once again these books do feature quite toxic relationships and I still don't quite get the possessive mate hype in romance but meh, I'm honestly having fun with these. But they really aren't very good so ya. 

The Sun Down Motel by Simone St. James I actually loved this book, I loved that there was some paranormal aspects but that it didn't center on the actual mystery, it was bonus. I loved that, so even if the story was slightly predidctable this really made the story for me. I loved how the author blended past and present, true crime and paranormal. I honestly can't wait to read more of this author.

The Guinevere Deception by Kiersten White Maybe it was the fact that I read this as an audio book but I was really disapointed. Like 2.5 or 3 stars out of 5 disapointing. First things first, it was worth reading but maybe try the physical copy? Because I listened to the audio it was painfully obvious that the narration, that Guinevere was obssesed with Arthur. Which is just gross, I think the author should make the love interest with either Lancelot or Mordred. Arthur is just boring... and this book except for the very last end of it was honestly just soooo boring. I don't even know how the author put all the scenes into a coherent story, a lot of it felt really random. I could say more but those are the gist of my feelings.




No comments:

Post a Comment