Thursday, February 4, 2021

December 2020 reads

 Holy crap, why can't I read this many books in one month all the time? Because sleep, slumps and honestly probably just those two reasons.....

Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo 4/5 So I finally read and finished Ninnth House, honestly maybe it's more of a 3 stars but it was really boring. I love supernatural mystery so I thought for sure I would love this. I didn't love it, and my favorite character was Darlington and if you've read it well you know. The twist was out of left field there was no real buildup and I wouldn't have guessed and now I'm left with a very unsatisfying story but I'll probably still read the next one.

Strangelands vol 1 5/5 This is a great graphic novel and I would love to keep reading more of this series. It's got great potential, plus it's indigenous ownvoices with one of the creaters at least, Little Badger who recently released Elatsoe which I'm looking forward to reading as well.

Snow Day by Julie Lipson 4/5 This audiobook is short, sweet and cute. It' was really well done, I was impressed.

Kingdom of the Wicked by Kerri Maniscalco 4/5 sigh I wanted this to be 5 stars so badly and I loved the romantic relationship aka banter, because it's not really a relationship....yet....? Anyways, it's really interesting and I'm really intrigued to read the next one but the pacing was really off. Like really, really off, it takes place over weeks, or months I guess? I don't even know, but our main character was lacking a bit, I'd rather have read from the other twins life, ours is a bit boring and plain and slow to take action. I think I would have understood her bad decisions more if she hadn't literally had long periods of time to think about things. 

A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard I really hesitate to rate this book because it's literally a memoir written by a woman who was kidnapped and kept in captivity for over 20 years. It was heartbreaking and beautiful and I can't believe Jaycee Dugard had any hope and survived this trauma. I hope for the best for her, her story is important and inspiring, if Jaycee Dugard can survive under her circumstances I can handle the shit show of 2020.

The Hunting Party by Lucy Foley 5/5 I know that some aspects of this story were predictable but I loved it. It was atmospheric, and I was fascinated by the how of these characters connecting.

Instant Karma by Marissa Meyer 5/5 This was so cute, I'm still crying. It follows a stereotypical ya rom-com plot but with sea rescue and learning and character growth and um, ya. I just loved it, I didn't think I would especially because I didn't like the main charcter but I read it in one night. Highly recommend.

Hunting Whitey by Casey Sherman 4/5 This true crime book follows mob boss Whitey Bulger after he goes on the run as an old man. It also covers the last bit of his life while he was in prison. I enjoyed this book, it was well written and was kind of fascinating to get a glimspe into this man's life. He was racist, and homophopic and well a murderer but also there was a lot of grey area to his life. He was extremely loyal, loved animals and became a type of father figure to many people. Anyways it's prettty messed up, highly recommend. Also just a side note, the poor police.

The Guest List by Lucy Foley 4/5 This was basically the Hutning Party but more predictable and I still loved it.

One by One by Ruth Ware 3/5 Um, this was very easy to see through and honestly kind of annoying. IT was fun though, I liked it enough for 3 stars I guess.

The Girl From Widow Hills by Megan Miranda 3/5 I liked this one too but also it didn't have any ooumph for me. 

The Viscount Who Loved me by Julia Quinn I fell into the Bridgerton hole as soon as I saw the show. I skipped the first book becuase it pretty much follows the first season and I didn't need to relieve Daphne. Anthony did not disapoint and this is probably my favorite.

An Offer from a Gentleman by Julia Quinn cute

Romancing Mr. Bridgerton by Julia Quinn my other favorite in the series.

A Good Girl's Guide to Murder by Holly Jackson 4/5 I wasn't expecting this to be as good as it was but it was really fricking good. Highly recommend.

Living-Room Matsunaga-kun vol 5 4/5 Just a cute rom-com with questionable age gap roamnce but I don't care because I'm 29 and trash.


No comments:

Post a Comment