Thursday, February 4, 2021

The Pisces Book Review

 The Pisces by Melissa Broder

Um, 2 stars? I think, maybe? 

Pretty much my reactions when reading this book, 

"Um weird"

"Fucking rude"

"Ok, hold the phone"

"wth"

"wtf"

"OMFG"

This book is a ride from start to finish, it's about Lucy a 38 year old woman having a crisis over her breakup with long term boyfriend and thesis, because she's pretty much breaking up with both the boyfriend and the thesis. She is unapologetic for being the biggest asshole and most self centered person on the planet while also I pity her because she's obviously struggling with severe mental health issues and extreme depression. As someone who struggles with poor mental health I don't think that gives people a right to be an asshole and disrespect others. Lucy is slightly redeemable and i have hope for her future self after the book ends, but honestly just ugh. 

So this book was marketed to me as 'merman erotica' and it did have fishy sex, but it is not erotica because I was disgusted by every sex scene in this book. It's either disappointing, gross or both. Theo was also an unhealthy mother fucker, who toyed with Lucy that I felt like she was getting brainwashed by him. Jeez, giver the girl a healthy relationship. 

Honestly, at one point in the book our mc Lucy just pretty spirals down into non-existence and makes terrible decisions with REAL consequences, which she seemed to learn from but it was a little late. I don't want to spoil this book if you decide to read it, if you need spoilers hit me up on my instagram @booksontuesday

I did give this the 2 stars because I do think it showed how mental health affects us, and how we can become so obsessed with ourselves that we become out of control. And honestly I think maybe that's part of the point of the book but also by 3/4's of my way through it I only finished it because I craved closure from the story. And I NEEDED, not wanted, to write this review to let my very complicated feelings out which also means that maybe this is a good book? Because I can't stop thinking about it... 

Or maybe it's so bad that it's going to haunt me for the rest of my life.

I need a stiff drink. 

May the odds be ever in your favour.

Also putting the trigger warnings slightly down because they often spoil parts of the story, read at your own will.

#thepisces #thepiscesbookreview #melissabroder 

Otherwise the trigger warnings are animal abuse/death, graphic sex, depression, suicide and talk of suicide


No comments:

Post a Comment